Sunday, September 14, 2008

I'll be back




That's what I told my students from Napaskiak and Oscarville as I wrapped up classes on Friday. And thanks to our state DMV, I will be back there this week to finish up some business that really should have been finished this past Thursday. It is a somewhat delicate situation, so I had better leave it at that.
It is nice to be back in Bethel, back at the Tundra Oasis. I flew in yesterday. From the airstrip in Napaskiak I could see some of Bethel's landmarks, mainly the radio tower, the hospital and the big oil tanks. It's kind of odd to be able to visually see your destination when your mode of travel is by air.
Kenny (the site administrator's husband) and I hauled all my gear (2 four wheeler/trailer loads full) out to the airstrip and waited for my noon charter plane. We were early, so we chatted and waited, chatted and waited some more. We saw some planes go by from Bethel but none of them turned to make the landing on our airstrip. At 12:30 suddenly a plane pulled around the corner and came taxiing over to us. It came from the other direction, and managed to swoop in and land without us even knowing it. It turns out the plane was one we had seen go by earlier, looking towards Bethel, but it went to Napakiak, which is a few miles downriver, not Napaskiak, due to some confusion on somebody's part. How could you mix up those two names, right? The pilot waited there for me for about 15 minutes before radioing in and going to the right place. I didn't bust the pilot's chops about it too much, since, you know, my life was in his hands.
It took us about 15 minutes to load up the plane and about 5 minutes to make the flight. After touchdown in Bethel I was picked up by my boss with an LKSD cube van for all the gear. On the way to the District Office I spotted Big Red Fred at the fire station where it was supposed to be. The keys were in the glove box, so away I went with my wheels. All the gear was offloaded at the District Office, save for mine, which fit in Fred's bed. Soon enough I was enjoying three tacos in the company of a good friend, and feeling pretty happy to be back in Bethel.
Last night my roomates got to find out how serious we Wisconsin folks take our Badger football. For anyone who watched the game, that "no fumble" call reversal pretty much sent me over the edge. I was shouting at a television set. Football season has now officially begun.
Sadly, neither the Packers nor the Jets were featured on the Sunday broadcasts here. And for the record, I'd rather watch the Jets.
I had a great experience at Napaskiak. The people were very welcoming and friendly overall. I will be back. But for now it is nice to be able to go out to eat and watch a ball game on the TV.
I've added some photos of: My shop setup from PKA, and some in-class activities.

6 comments:

Erin said...

Hi. Is that a dog in your classroom? What kind of place are you teaching in? lol

Lyle is fixing up a little dirt bike and I am already planning a photo op of Macy driving. It's going to rock!

You know, after PKA and Oscarville it's just going to be all downhill. Just kidding.

Erin

Janine said...

Hi Bri! It sounds like you are having a great time and happy to be in Alaska. It is fun to read about what life is like... so different from anything we've ever experienced here in WI. I'm glad to got to watch Bucky play... unfortnately I fell asleep somewhere in the 2nd quarter and was in bed by halftime. Chris told me about the horrible officiating though. I'm glad it didn't cost them the game!! Today we went to Barb and Dave's house to meet Andy's new wife, Rachel. She is a very nice gal. We missed you. Dan also came, but no Christin, as she just had her baby last week. Our basement project is coming along nicely... the walls are framed, rough plumbing and electrical are in. This week the dry wall goes up. Well, that's it for now I guess. I'll update you next week. Nolan is playing flag football and Liam is starting soccer. :)

Mom said...

Hi Brian,
Great pictures! Is the dog one of your students or a mascot? From the rear end he/she looks cute! I'm glad you got to see the Badgers. I didn't make to the end of the game either but saw most of it. We had a nice time at Barb and Dave's. Andy's wife, Rachel is a really neat gal. Andy and Dan looked good. The weather was crappy so could not be outside (rain from hurricane Ike)...but everyone had a good time. I really look forward to your journal postings. Have a good week. Hopefully the certified mail with your birth certificate has arrived and you have signed for it and have it. Take care, Brian. Love, Mom

Danny89 said...

hey, Mr. Rendall i had alot of fun doring Drivers ED but i am so sorry i was not there the end of the class. but i had lots of fun in your class. hope i would see you sometime around Alaska or some other place. and thanks for teaching the class to us Oscarvellers. well thanks again and ttyl.

Why Me!! said...

Gee I know how that feels waiting for a plane to pick you up. That happens to us but then sometimes it would be a bad weather, But in winter time it's always like that. I had lots of fun driving on the simulator, and watching other people drive.
Jackie

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great time and a true appreciation for the little in life. I think life in Alaska is a good thing!! Andy now in Iraq, for 1 more year. Dan still running marathons and training for yet another Iron Man in the spring. Christin now with 4 kids, still home schooling and will go back to work next week. everyone with a busy schedule - but not close to the adventures you are having. enjoy the postings!! aunt barb