Thursday, September 4, 2008

Four Star

It is getting near the end of week 2 in Napaskiak and it feels like I just arrived. I thought I might as well share a few photos of school life. Aunt Barb asked, and Nephew Brian delivers the goods. First picture is my room in the attic. Now, in my defense, there is no furniture in my room, so where else would I store my gear besides on the floor. That really is the best place for it. At least I have an excuse.




Next is the famous basketball court outside of Z.J. Williams School. I was invited in for a pick-up game tonight, but I declined on the grounds that I'm a wrestler. That, and none of the students had bugged me enough to want to go in and foul the crap out of somebody.

Thissa here is the infamous Red Shed. This is where the magic takes place. Sort of. It is where I have set up my welding machine (the doors to the left) and my driving simulator (doors straight up the boardwalk.) I spend at least half of my day in the shed.






Stepping inside, it's a pleasant 58 degrees now that I've mastered the controls of my heater. Before this, it ranged somewhere between 40 and 80. The driving area is also a quasi wood shop. I also use a classroom inside the actual school to give the students other content. They like the driving alot more. Here are some students from Oscarville in my night class, hard at work, making me proud.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Yea for Oscarville! I love the pic of the scary attic with your stuff strewn about. Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Mom said...

Brian, thanks for the pictures. We'd like to see more of your school, your students and the village. Hope you are having a good weekend. Love, Mom

Janine said...

Hey Brian! Thanks for the update. It is neat to see where you are and what you are doing. I can't believe you're teaching driver's ed!! Be sure to look at the comments under your first posting... I think some are getting confused thinking they have to scroll down to the bottom and ended up posting on that update instead. Badgers won today...but I'm sure you already researched that. :)

Ethan said...

I'm reading your Alaska blog from Jamaica. Actually, you might inspire me to start a blog of my own after two years of living abroad. But probably not. Good luck with the cold, boss. And don't worry, I will enjoy the hurricanes.