Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I Not Human, I Robot

What the heck is that title about?

Well this past weekend I traveled to Fairbanks to be a chaperone, photographer, chauffeur and referee at the FTC (FIRST Tech Challenge) state competition. It was quite a fun and exhausting time, and our teams represented LKSD well, both in their demeanor and in their performance. We were all quite proud.

The students got to tour campus, which was especially cool since a couple students are planning on attending UAF. They have a great campus, with great opportunities, a really cool museum, and campus dining that I must say is quite good, way better than anything I remember from my days in school. I think it would be a pretty neat school to attend.

Some shots of the museum...


We got in Thursday night and basically rented vans, checked into the hotel. The students were much more full of energy than I.

Friday was campus tour, robot inspection, and pit day.

Pit time...


Saturday was the big day. The competition was impressive, and it was great to see our kids hold their own with "the big boys" from the Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau schools.

After competition, we all went out to eat as a big group, and then went to see the World Championship Ice Carving display. The pictures won't do it justice, but let me just say, this was super cool. And pretty cold, too...
There were things they could touch, sit on, and slide down, like this cool slide

And this big multi slide we raced down, fun!

And this big halibut chair thing

And artwork like this...



Amazing stuff. I would have taken more pics, but I thought my fingers might freeze.

Unfortunately, all this fun and lack of sleep left me exhausted and vulnerable, and I came down with some flu after coming back to Bethel. But, like Buddy Ryan used to say on Night Court...I'm feeling MUCH better now. And good thing, with spring break just around the corner. Stay healthy, friends.

No comments: