Thursday, May 24, 2012

School's Out Platinum Trip


Friday marked my final contract day for the 2011-2012 school year.  An hour and 45 minutes later, I was on a Cessna 207, bound for Platinum with a couple gallons of water, noodles, meat, pilot bread, my Remington and plenty of 3" #2 shells. 

You don't need to take a plane ride in order to get birds here, but it was worth it to me to be able to hunt with a good friend in a really neat place and get out of town for a few days.

The weekend didn't disappoint.  Weather was quite cooperative, and while the hunting wasn't fast and furious, it was steady enough to mostly keep a person interested.  The highlight was bagging a double of sandhills with Paul on the last hunt. 

Prior to that I heard some snoring in the field.  After about a half an hour Paul woke up and said "I feel sorry for those who haven't experienced the pure joy of falling asleep in the sun on the tundra with a shotgun across their lap." 

Ditto.

Up next for me, I am working on (right now taking a break from) moving into a new apartment, and then I will be going up to Donlin Creek for an industry externship.  It should be interesting, I'll be sure to take some pics and post an update.



No comments: