Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ice cream for breakfast



That's right, I decided to go ahead and have a nice bowl of ice cream for breakfast this morning. Tomorrow morning I head to the first of my estimated 9 villages for the year. For the next 3 weeks I will be calling the village of Napaskiak my home. I am looking forward to going there. Napaskiak is right across the Kuskokwim from Oscarville, home of my dear friend Erin Kavanaugh. I'm hoping I can sweet talk her into showing me some of the sights and sounds of Oscarville and the nature that surrounds. The Oscarville students will be joining my class as well. How many places in the lower 48 do kids get on a boat after school to cross a river and take a night class? None I'm aware of. After Napaskiak, I will be spending 3 weeks in Napakiak. Following that, having exhausted our district's villages that rhyme with Napaskiak, I will be moving on to Newtok. So I figured with all that on the agenda I had better enjoy my ice cream now, while I can have the kind that has no fish or Crisco.

I am going to miss the Tundra Oasis. I have had a really nice time here. I will miss my new friends that are my roomates. I will miss my king size bed. I will miss the fine dining at VIP, Shogun, and pizza at the airport, my favorite so far. But, there is work to be done.

As for the pictures, one is of the TO, the other is of me walking the bank of the Kusko. Enjoy.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Thanks for the pictures. I'm glad you have new friends at the Tundra Oasis. It looks like a nice place. You look good, Brian. I'm glad everything is going well so far. Looking forward to more pictures from the Oscarville area. Take care, Love, Mom

Erin said...

I'm looking forward to Friday and showing you around this place I call home. I'm glad I can share it with such a good friend. I'm liking that you are right across the river. You should stay there all year. We'll have the best and more responsible drivers in the Delta. I think that sounds like a swell idea. Glad you liked your "supper" this evening!

Christin said...

Thanks for the pictures. I am looking forward to reading the blog. Good luck on your adventure.

Christin Scott